Digital Youth Research Project | UC Berkeley | Berkeley, CA
Graduate Student Researcher (September 2005 – present)
Working under Peter Lyman (UC Berkeley) and Mimi Ito (USC Annenberg Center) on a $3.3 Million MacArthur grant to study how youths’ informal use of digital media affects communication, learning, knowledge, and play.
• Conducted 12 week ethnographic field study of 11-15 year old kids enrolled in an arts and technology program for children from the Bayview and Hunters Point neighborhoods of San Francisco.
• Design and perform interview and diary protocols to asses youth’s everyday uses of digital media.
• Draft analysis memos leading to a report to MacArthur this spring.
Yahoo! Research Berkeley | Berkeley, CA
Research Intern (September 2005 – March 2006)
Working under Marc Davis’ Social Media group at the recently launched research collaborative between Yahoo! and UC Berkeley.
• Assess user needs, develop information architecture, and design user interface prototypes.
Garage Cinema Research | UC Berkeley | Berkeley, CA
Designer, User Experience Group (May 2005 – August 2005)
Member of Marc Davis’ research group focused on “enabling media consumers to become media producers.”
• Design information visualizations and user interface prototypes for desktop and mobile applications that leverage temporal, spatial and social metadata for multimedia capture, use, and reuse.
Jan Krukowski & Company | New York, NY
Interactive Media Producer (January 2002 – May 2005)
Information Architect & Interaction Designer (June 2000 – January 2002)
Oversee information architecture, user interface design, multimedia content development, and programming of Web sites, CD-ROMs, DVDs, and interactive environments for marketing agency focused on the not-for profit sector.
• Conduct qualitative needs assessment through individual interviews with stakeholders and focused group and usability testing with users; help develop survey instruments for quantitative market research.
• Draft information architecture and user interface wireframes.
• Prototype user interfaces and story-board scenarios for interactive experiences.
• Contribute to, and manage, team of writers, animators, 3-D modelers, programmers, photographers, videographers, and editors for multimedia content creation.
• Act as primary interface with client.
• Work received numerous awards including: Macromedia Site of the Day; UCDA Gold, Silver and Judge’s Choice awards; CASE Gold.
UC Berkeley | School of Information (formerly SIMS) | Berkeley, CA
Masters expected, May 2007
• Graduate fellowship.
• Noteworthy Courses: Ethnographic Practice (Jean Lave); Information Visualization (Marti Hearst); Industrial Design & Human Factors (Ken Goldberg).
Bowdoin College | Brunswick, ME
Bachelor of Arts in Economics, June 2000
• Phi Beta Kappa; Summa Cum Laude; Writing Tutor; Economics Prize; Graduation Award.
• Design & Prototyping Tools: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign; QuarkXPress; Macromedia Flash.
• Computer Languages: Java, XML, XSLT, XPATH, HTML, CSS, ActionScript.